Griffith Review is now accepting submissions for the 2017 Griffith Review Queensland writers Fellowships.
Up to six fellowships of
$5,000 will be awarded for 2017 to Queensland writers, or those with strong
ties to Queensland. The fellowships are designed to enable writers across all
genres to commence a major project, to further develop work already underway,
or to facilitate the next stage of a work in progress. In 2017 Griffith Review
particularly encourages submissions from Indigenous writers, and submissions
embracing Indigenous themes, multiculturalism or nature writing. Submissions
addressing other topics are also welcome.
The successful works will be published in Griffith Review in 2018 or 2019.
The fellows will be announced at the Queensland Literary Awards on October 4. Successful fellows will be advised prior to this date. Successful work will be published in Griffith Review in 2018 in an edition determined by the Editor and online at griffithreview.com.
The works of successful fellows may also be read and assessed by the University of Queensland Press, with a view to publication.
Entry fee for the competition is $50 (including GST) for non-subscribers to Griffith Review and $35 (including GST) for subscribers. Entry fees must be paid via GriffithPAY here. There is no charge for members of the Griffith Review Contributors’ Circle.
Submissions are limited to authors residing in Queensland, or those with a demonstrable connection to the state.
There is no restriction on genre, however prospective entrants are encouraged to familiarise themselves with Griffith Review. Suitability for publication in Griffith Review will be a criteria for selection. A full archive is available at griffithreview.com.
The submission should be no more than 5,000 words.
If the submission does not represent a complete (or near to complete) work, in addition to the above, please include a brief descriptive outline of the project, including the subject, stage of development, steps needed to finalise the work to completion and the proposed outcome from publication in Griffith Review (for example, your submission may be part of a larger work or be submitted to an anthology). Details of your prior publications and links to other published work should also be included. A brief statement of value of the fellowship should also be included.
It is anticipated that six fellowships will be awarded to the value of $5,000 each, however Griffith Review reserves the right to award one or more fellowships a greater sum or offer some fellowships a smaller amount, to be determined at the discretion of the judges
Submissions will be evaluated and selected by Griffith Review staff who may consult other personnel in the decision-making process. Decisions will be final and there will be no correspondence with unsuccessful candidates about the merits of unsuccessful proposals.
Successful applications will be notified by 30 September 2017.
Completed works must be submitted by February 2018 or as negotiated with the Editor. Successful fellows will work with the editorial team prior to this deadline to develop the project.
Completed works will undergo a professional editorial process prior to publication.
Successful applicants will be paid 40 per cent of the agreed fellowship amount upon notification that they’ve been successful. The remaining 60 per cent will be paid once the work has been accepted for publication. Successful applicants will need to provide Griffith Review with an invoice for each amount.
money awarded as a component of the fellowship represents payment for
publication, there will not be another fee for publication.